To meet the needs of our customers who continue to serve and protect, we are actively hiring. In light of COVID-19, we have adapted our interviewing and onboarding processes and are conducting all job interviews virtually via Skype until further notice.
Virtual interview tips
First of all, relax. We want your interview to go just as well as you do! Virtual interviews introduce an additional element of stress to an already stressful situation. We understand that and have put together some simple tips to help you out.
Tips for your interview
Our interviews consist of open-ended questions to evaluate your technical abilities, work experience, and behavioural traits. Use these tips as a guide when preparing for your interview:
- Familiarise yourself with General Dynamics UK; have an understanding of what we do.
- To provide insight into our world, we will give you an overview of our business and the position for which you are applying. Come prepared by determining how your existing skills and experience suit the role and what interests you most about pursuing a career with us.
- Proud of the work you have done and want to share? Share examples of any non-proprietary work products, writing samples, etc. that you have.
- If you are applying for a technical job such as a software or systems engineer, be prepared to answer technical questions. (i.e. software development)
- When it comes time for you to ask questions, go for it! This is your opportunity to learn more about the role, our culture, and the benefits of choosing a career with General Dynamics UK.
- Turn your experience into stories. Explain how your past experience will help you to meaningfully contribute to our team.
- Are you a veteran? Explain how your military experience will enable you to better understand the needs of our customers.
Now what kinds of questions can you expect? Although these may not be the exact questions that you will experience in your interview with us, they can help you to gain an understanding of how to prepare:
- What is the strongest attribute that you bring to the table?
- Describe the last team that you worked with and your role on it.
- What is important to you in an employer?
- For a recent graduate, what was your favourite class and why? What was your least favourite class and why?
- What is your definition of accountability?
- What has been your biggest success story to date?
- Why do you want to work for General Dynamics UK?
- How do you ensure that your work is the highest quality?
- How do you define project requirements and how do you make sure they are realistic?
- Explain how you reason through problems when you don’t know the answer right away.
- Tell us about a time you received feedback which indicated you were not meeting expectations.
- Describe your ideal work environment.
- What work experience have you had that prepares you to be successful in this position?
For Technical Positions:
- Explain a few significant differences between the C++ and Java programming languages.
- Pick a project that you can discuss in detail and had a significant role on. Discuss the system design/architecture. What was the worst problem you had with this system and how did you fix it?
- How much reuse do you get out of the code you develop?
- Explain a time when you were able to improve upon the design that was originally requested.
- Do you want to stay on a technical career path or eventually move to a leadership/management role?